As humans, I think our first reaction to any terrible situation is to focus on the worst: lives lost, things lost, love lost. This past week, so many people have stated how they fear that if these horrible things can happen randomly, they can happen to them.
And this is true: horrible things can happen to anyone, at any time.
But it is the FEAR of these things that is the most tragic of all. If, after a horrible event, you think, "gosh, what if that happened to me?", you're not alone. If you continue to dwell on the "what if" and feed into its power, then you are robbing yourself of precious moments of potential JOY.
Think about it: the mere moments you spend worrying about what could, maybe, possibly happen, the less moments you have to think about the amazing things in your life, those which you are grateful for.
Fear squashes joy with its false expectations.
Fear has the ability to take control of your core being and permeate into every aspect of your life. Secure in your job? Maybe not. Praying for a baby? You might never get one. Want to finish that first 1/2 marathon? Your leg could cramp up on mile 11 and you're done-zo. Love your kids? Well, they could be killed in a car accident tomorrow.
Fear ruins any chance for being truly happy, and more than that, fear ruins any chance for possessing true JOY. How negative do the above thoughts sound? These are merely mental gremlins and they have no use in our minds; thinking about them no more prepares us for the horrendous things that could happen in life. And yes, the harsh reality is that all of these things are possible. But what good does worry, anxiety, staying up at night, and FEAR of what might, could, possibly happen do for you? It will only lead to sadness, stress, emptiness, and physical/mental pain, unnecessary pain, I might add.
When you operate from FEAR, you ruin your chances to have a loved-filled life. Just as all horrific things are possible,
all loving, joyous, amazing, wonderful, awe-inspiring, happy things are possible.
How powerful is that?
How to operate from love
- First, you must make a choice to do so, an intentional choice. This will take practice. It's not easy. It's way easier to worry, but the pay-off from operating from love is greater. Gone must be the days of dwelling, fearing, and negativity.
- Allow yourself to grieve amidst the terrible times, but focus on the love shown in every situation.
- As soon as a negative, fearful thought runs through your mind, zap it with a joyous one.
- Practice gratitude. This will give you the readiness to zap fearful thoughts. It will be hard for FEAR to creep in your mind when your focus is on the good, amazing, thankfulness you possess.
- Just as FEAR permeates, LOVE permeates, so operating from it will affect every aspect of your life, including those around you. Another great reason to start!
- Talk it out and ask for support. How does "operating from love" look for you? This could be with friends, your partner, or a coach.
In this tough time, I'm sending out positive thoughts, energizing prayers, and LOVE to you all. My sincerest hope is that you start operating from love as you deserve a life that is filled to the brim with JOY.
Sign up for my FREE e-coaching newsletter (filled with insider tips, free give-a-ways, and inspiration), click here: http://eepurl.com/qpH6f
life coach, life coaching, wellness, wellness coaching, newsletter, happy