Whatever you're doing, I bet you could feel a little more rested. Am I right?
People complain constantly about being tired, worn-out, sleepy, and drained. I rarely hear people say, "I got just enough sleep last night!" In fact, I either hear, "I got too little sleep," or "I got too much." Either instance results in feeling tired.
My entire life I have heard that adults MUST get 8 hours of sleep to be able to fully function (what does that even mean?) during the day. However, I've been doing a lot of research that says anywhere between 7-9 hours is best. I am a fan of ranges as no one person is the same. For me, I need 7.75 hours. This is exactly what works for me (and yes, I've tested it). Now, for you, it might be exactly 9 hours that keeps you feeling good. Or 7.4693 hours. Whatever it is, you need to figure it out for yourself.
How to determine what amount of sleep works:
- Set aside 3-4 days that you can test out different amounts of sleep. Preferably nights before minimally-scheduled days.
- Try out a different increment each night.
- When the alarm goes off, stay dedicated to getting up to see how your body truly reacts (remember, it's just a few days. You can make it through, sleepyhead!)
- Pay attention to how you feel at different times the next day. Specifically: mid-morning, after lunch, 3pm, and right before you go back to bed.
- You might even want to take notes or journal about how you feel at the different times.
- Once you know your perfect "zzz" time, stick to it! Your body and mind will thank you!
What is your perfect "zzz" time? Or are you still working to figure it out?